Second Life, beyond my first
December 1, 2010
Research Travel Tour
– I was looking for locations that would help students conduct research, learn about research, and talk to others about research. I tried to find a variety of sources that will offer students different options when completing projects involving research. These sites make students responsible for their own learning, justify their research decisions, and make changes based on others inputs. Not only do these sites provide avenues for research, they provide a learning community in which the student can develop professional and personal relationships. While some sites help kick-start the research, some help continue it, while others help reflect about it.
Second Life Locations
- Mecha Tiki Research
- This location offers you access to different types of research with an overall art theme. This allows you to experience some variety in your research and will give you some new ideas of things to include in your teaching.
- Rockcliffe Deep Research Learning Environment
- This location allows you to access different libraries, journals, and web sites that are dedicated to helping you conduct research and then cite the sources you have used. For example, you can access WorldCat.org here which will help you find resources in libraries near you.
- IT World, IT World – Groundswell
- This location offers many chapters, or segments dealing with research primarily with a “business world” focus and how communication and listening is key to strong marketing.
- Printer’s Devil Project ITRC at Western Ontario
- This location allows you to access different resources such as The University of Western Ontario, and Western Libraries Catalogue.
- McMaster University Library
- This location offers tips on finding resources and grants you access to free resources as well.
- Cedar Island
- This location allows you to explore an area and see what other people have left behind for you to experience. You can also access The Cedar Island News website which gives you access to blogs, and which is used as a laboratory for educational projects.
- Media Zoo
- This location offers to the Media Zoo web site which features the a chance to acquire new skills and knowledge in the use of new technologies and innovative learning design for teaching.
- University of Hertfordshire
- This location is a virtual campus which allows you to move around and interact with what the University has to offer, such as the Learning Centre. For example, you can access the University Catalogue using Voyager online.
- University of South Carolina (USC)
- This location is a virtual campus which allows you to visit the University of South Carolina campus. It also grants you access to the Thomas Cooper Library where you can conduct research.
- State Library of Kansas
- This location allows you access to the State Library of Kansas. This grants you access to many different resources and help. For example, you can access a link that takes you to a web site that explores online resources such as Learning Express and InfoTrac.